Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tim Tebow: A Real Role Model ?


I know, the first thing some of you will say is why is he talking about this guy? Those who really know me, will know why. I learned of him while he was in high school and my wife and I talked about his outlook when they interviewed him then. He comes from a family of Christian missionaries who chose to home school him, but allow him to participate in high school athletics and other extracurricular activities [this can be done in any school district-your taxes pay for it]. I’m not a fan of Florida, but after seeing how this guy has handled himself with all of the notoriety and used it to witness while still doing mission trips between seasons/classes, I am a Tebow fan.


Too often you see athletes who proclaim their love Christ, but let that get lost as their fame grows. This kid exhibits a great combination of athleticism, character and faith, not to mention being humble at the same. He was even criticized for using yet another opportunity to share God’s word by putting John 3:16 in the black paint under his eyes for the BCS bowl game. Then he opted to stay in school for his senior year out of loyalty to the school. Come on!


Both on and off the field this kid has carried himself as a role model. Hos exhibitions of Christ’s love transcend racial boundaries. I don’t care what race, if you have a son who’s an athlete, this kid is someone they can look up to and pattern themselves after. On the field, he earned a Heisman trophy, a tremendous work ethic, and he has now earned another national championship. Off the field, his love for Christ is shown in his missions and ministering in hospitals and prisons.


How many other college players (or pro for that matter) are there out there that they mention their mission trips and prison ministry almost every time they’re talked about (on TV, in print and on the radio). It reminds me of when Kurt Warner was vocal about his love for Christ and they cut him off. It’s funny for me to watch some of the sportscasters squirm as they share the things he does. Sometimes, I think it’s because of human nature. They can’t explain why he does what he does. They can’t explain why he doesn’t take a camera crew with him every time he goes. This kid (who’s not even making pro money yet) does so much for others that some people have to ask themselves Why? The beautiful thing is they really know the answer, but don’t want to admit it. I know what it is and I’ll say it--his faith in Christ and his walk as a Christian.


This blog has been mostly about political topics and stuff, but I care about and think about more than politics. This kid has shown himself (to date) to be the real deal. I hope when he gets to the next level he keeps it up. He’s a role model for kids, other athletes and Christian men. He’s handling himself in the way we, as Christians, should live, with an abundance of good works, living a life above reproach and boldly sharing the gospel whenever he can. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Tebow is perfect, but like many Christian athletes before him, he’s using his spotlight to exhibit to others what it means to be a Christian. Whether you like Florida, the SEC, or not, Christians ought to be a fan of this kid and back him up on that. We ought to all strive to live that kind of life as an example for those we come into contact daily. Pray for God’s continued strength and guidance for him. He’s the real deal!

It’s Just My Opinion, But I’m Not Wrong!

No comments: